Government Affairs at the NCA
Coffee is an integral part of the U.S. economy and culture.
As an agricultural import, publicly traded commodity, raw ingredient, roasted retail product, and popular beverage, coffee plays a significant role in households, storefronts, and boardrooms nationwide.
Coffee’s complex path from seed to cup attracts government scrutiny in many areas, including international trade, homeland security, food safety, and nutritional guidance. As chief advocate for the U.S. coffee industry, the NCA works with the government agencies that review, monitor, test, regulate, and otherwise influence coffee commerce and consumption in the U.S. and abroad.
The NCA’s role is to flag potential problems, identify industry priorities, lead constructive conversations, plan targeted strategies, and take action as needed. We welcome questions and encourage members to get involved — we’re here to represent you.
One benefit of NCA membership is staying up-to-date on industry issues as they evolve. Staying informed gives organizations time to prepare and make better decisions. Feedback from NCA members is the foundation for our priorities and strategy, providing important perspective on the business impact in the field.
NCA industry issues include:
- Discussing industry interests with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) as it rolls out the revolutionary Food Safety Modernization Act
- Meeting with FDA officials to discuss the science of coffee and provide context as the agency examines U.S. caffeine intake
- Defending scientists’ recommendations to include coffee as part of a healthy lifestyle in the 2015 Dietary Guidelines
- Fighting a major importation restriction proposed in the Safe Food for Canadians Act
- Collaborating with the U.S. Customs & Border Patrol to stop unwarranted inspections of green coffee imports into California ports
- Supporting efforts to reform Proposition 65 in California
- Protecting coffee’s exemption from carrying a Nutritional Facts Panel in the face of proposed changes to standard serving sizes
- Representing the industry as part of the official U.S. delegation to the International Coffee Organization (ICO)
The NCA Government Affairs program provides comprehensive advocacy for the entire industry. Tapping the expertise and input of the NCA Government Affairs Committee, Green Coffee Association’s Traffic & Warehouse Committee, the NCA Scientific Advisory Group, NCA staff, and our network of individual experts, the Association is prepared to tackle the industry’s challenges and grow its opportunities.
Get the most recent updates of what we’re doing at the NCA Newsroom, and stay tuned for more information on pending regulatory developments.
If you’re an NCA member, keep an eye on your inbox for the next Member Alert. For additional information or questions about a specific issue, contact Joe DeRupo at email@example.com.