The Next Generation Council is a new initiative from the NCA to support talented young professionals who are passionate about the coffee industry.
Whether you want to change your career or change the world, we encourage you to get involved. This is a unique opportunity to build your network, gain real-world leadership experience, and give back to the community. (And you never know where the opportunity could lead.)
About Next Gen
The group will be structured in two levels:
Next Gen Leadership will be responsible for setting the strategic direction of the group and working with the NCA Board of Directors. Eight positions are available: four officers (Chair, Past-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer) and four council members. Leadership roles are determined the NCA External Member Relations (EMR) Committee.
Non-officer council members must chair or co-chair one of the Next Gen Council committees, which include:
- Networking and Events Committee
- Education Committee
- Mentorship and Career Development Committee
- Recruitment Committee
Applicants must do the following to be eligible for a leadership role:
- Submit a commitment letter from a manager stating that an individual has permission to attend the annual Next Gen council meeting at the NCA Annual Convention
- Provide a resume and cover letter. (Cover letter explains an applicant’s reason for applying and how they can contribute.)
- Submit a recommendation letter from a manager.
- Served at least one year on a council committee. (This criteria does not apply for the 1st Council being formed this year)
- Must be employed at an NCA member company
To be eligible for a Leadership position, the candidate must be 39 years or younger at the start of his/her term.
Term limits for leadership roles are set at two years with no option for reelection.
For the first cycle of leadership positions only, the NCA will select individuals who they feel possess leadership qualities and desire for making a meaningful impact within the NCA.
General membership is open to individuals employed by NCA member companies and who are under the age of 39.
Those interested in being a member of the General Membership, please contact Matthew Cariani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCA Day of Service
The Next Gen Council is responsible for planning and executing the NCA Day of Service, which coincides with the NCA Annual Convention.
Council members will research potential charities, propose budget allocations (with NCA oversight), and promote the event through a variety of marketing channels.